This recipe will really impress guests. It is simply delicious. It is not hard at all, there are just a few steps, so be sure to read it through first before you start. Bucatini is a pasta. I found it at Safeway, but you can probably find it just about anywhere.
Bucatini and Pesto with Sweet Potato
2 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 medium red onion, cut into wedges
1/3 c. plus 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 tsp chinese five spice
1 c corn kernels
1 jarred roasted red pepper, chopped
4 c. fresh basil
1/2 c. fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
6 cloves garlic
24 oz. cooked bucatini
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Toss together potato, onion, and 2 tablespoons oil in a bowl. Season with chinese five spice. Lightly salt and coat with maple syrup. Mix together and pour onto a rimmed baking sheet. Lightly drizzle with olive oil. Bake, stirring once, until potato and onion are tender, 24 to 26 minutes.
Place corn and chopped roasted red peppers with ¼ cup water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then shut off.
- Meanwhile, place basil and parsley in a food processor. Pulse until chopped, 4 to 5 times. Add garlic and walnuts. Pulse, scraping down the sides as needed, until finely chopped. With the machine running, slowly add remaining 1/3 cup oil through the feed tube. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions, reserving 1/4 cup pasta water before draining. Toss pasta with roasted vegetables, pesto, and pasta water. Drain then gently stir in corn and pepper mixture.
Serve with Beyond Meat “italian sausages” and red grapes.
This is a scrumptious recipe everyone will enjoy. You won’t even miss the meat.
- ½ cup raw unsalted cashews
- ⅓ cup water
- 3 cups fresh portobello or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- ⅓ cup chopped dried sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 small brown onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine (or whatever you use)
- 2 cups vegetable broth/stock
- ½ cup black beans with juice from can
- ⅓ cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon diced fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)*
- 1 tablespoon diced fresh rosemary (or 1 tsp dried)*
- 1 tablespoon diced fresh oregano (or 1 tsp dried)*
- * Fresh is absolutely the best!
- 1 pound dry penne pasta
- ¼ pumpkin seeds
- 1 or 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
Place cashews and a third cup of water in a blender or food processor and leave to soak.
In a large pan, sauté the mushrooms, onion and garlic in vegan margarine for 3 – 5 minutes, until onions are translucent. Reduce heat to medium low and add vegetable broth and black beans with juice. Cover and allow to simmer for 30 minutes. While sauce is cooking, blend cashews and water until smooth and creamy in blender.
Cook pasta in a separate pot. While pasta is cooking, add the cashew cream and herbs to the sauce, stirring well to combine. Add wine. Allow to simmer for another 20 minutes. If the stew looks too thick, add a little water. Season with salt and pepper and stir into pasta.
Sprinkle pumpkin seeds and chopped parsley on top when serving.